Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Snow Shoeing

I had my first chance at snow shoeing today. What a glorious way to be out in nature. There is nothing better then working up a sweat while you are out in the cold air. The powdery snow was fun to play in. I felt a bit like a child going on a new adventure!

Here in the foot hills of New Hampshire's White Mountains, the air is beautifully crisp and clear. I was so glad to be leaving the city behind for a couple of days. It is one of the best things I could have done. I am serving as chaplain for a family retreat this week. My topic for devotions and Bible Study has been prayer.

This is the week before Lent begins. Ash Wednesday is tomorrow. We will once again hear the words from Jesus instructing us to pray the "Lord's Prayer" and reminding us not to wear our religious practices out in the open for fear of falling like the Pharisees.

This season of the church year is one where we so often talk about our spiritual disciplines and practices, including prayer. I think the last thing we all need to to be taught once again, "how to pray." I think we often have been lead astray.

There isn't just one or two ways of praying. There are hundreds. Prayer is a life attentive to God's Holy and life giving, steadfast presence.

Be intentional. Chose to do an activity because you are seeking the Holy. Don't just go on the walk or on a snow shoeing hike in order to become more physically fit. Go out with the intention of soaking up, diving into God's beautiful creation.

And pay attention. This has to do with focusing ouor minds and hearts on God as we engage into our activity. Being present in the moment. I really think that the eastern religions have this practice down and we Christians have a lot to learn.

No comments: